Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My cat has a bit hair lost...?

It started out small, I thought it was just probably nothing? The baldish spot is on around her hind legs, where the heels are. Anyone knows if that's normal? During the vet check up, I forgot to ask, and I don't want to go back for a simple question concidering there's a check up fee. I don't want to bother if it's nothing serious to worry about.



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

Whoa there... hold off on medicating your pet before you know what's wrong!



Things that hairloss can indicate:



Dermatitis due to skin infection



Flea bite allergy (but not usually so if you don't see any fleas)



Hyperthyroidism



Ringworm



Allergies



Barbering (behavior when a cat chews for no reason)



+/- kidney disease



Stress



I would call your clinic and leave a message for the doctor that saw your cat. Often times they look at the record and can give you advice over the phone. If the cat had hairloss at the vet, the vet should note it in the chart during the exam. But I wouldn't treat for something you don't know she has without asking the vet... often that can cover up a problem or cause a bigger problem.



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

I had a cat that lost patches of hair on her rump if she came into contact with fleas... I don't know if that could be it or not--maybe you could just give the vet's office a call and tell them you forgot to ask at your appointment, but you wondered if they had noticed anything problematic?



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

It is possible that your cat has had an allergic reaction to flea bites. You can get a flea comb from most pet stores (it's a very fine-toothed metal comb); run it through the cat's fur, and if there are fleas, they will be caught between the teeth of the comb. If you see fleas, you will of course need to deal with those. If you don't see fleas, and the bald patches don't spread, then keep an eye on them to be sure that they are not getting infected; if the area starts to spread significantly, it's time to see the vet. Since it sounds like you've recently taken the cat for a check-up, the fact that the vet didn't mention it makes me think that it is a temporary matter; if you can see that it is distressing the cat, then take her/him in to be seen again. Good luck!



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

I am aware that hair loss in cats if it is generalized is typically because the cat is stressed. When the hair loss is in a specific area my sense is that it is probably something she is doing via chewing and is probably the result of a food allergy or she may have bites from fleas which can cause extreme itching. Do you notice any inflammation, reddening of the skin in that area, bumps? Have you changed her food recently? While you shouldn't be overly concerned, it should be watched so you will know if it gets better or worse. If it does not clear up within a week or 10 days, I recommend you take her in or some vets will talk to you on the phone and give you an idea of what it might be and/or what you might do about it. Since she has had a check up recently, they probably won't charge you for another check-up, just the office visit. Good luck and remember, you are the only one she has to rely on to provide her what she needs to be safe and healthy. I know $ can be a problem but you wouldn't want her to be suffering either. You may be able to work something out with the vet too.



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

There may be something of use here.



My cat has a bit hair lost...?

That is a classic dermatitis area, back of legs and hips. Keep her Frontlined or Advantaged for flea control and see if it clears up. If not, she may need a steroid from the vet, to control itching.

No comments:

Post a Comment